Calcium is one of the most important electrolytes for the human body and plays an essential role in wellness.
Calcium is one of the most abundant minerals in the human body. The majority of calcium in our body is stored in our bones and teeth (99%), with the remainder found in soft tissues and blood (1%), which is essential for wellness.
Recommended Dietary Allowances (RDAs) for Calcium
We lose calcium every day through our hair, sweat, urine, and feces. As the body cannot make calcium, you have to get calcium through the foods you eat or from supplements. Ensuring you get enough is crucial for wellness. How much calcium you need a day depends on your age and biological sex.
Here’s how much calcium you need based on your age:
- 14–18 years: 1,300 mg
- 19–50 years: 1,000 mg
- 51-70 years: 1,000 mg for men and 1,200 mg for women
- 71 years and older: 1,200 mg
- Pregnant and lactating women need 1,000-1,300 mg depending on age.
It’s possible to get sufficient amounts of calcium through the foods you eat daily. That said, you should still pay attention to your calcium intake to be sure that you are meeting your daily requirements. Also, it is important to note that your body needs vitamin D to absorb calcium. That’s why you should also be mindful of your vitamin D intake in addition to calcium.
The amount of calcium in the body depends on many factors, including:
- The rate of calcium intake from food
- The amount of calcium and vitamin D absorbed through the intestines
- Various hormone levels, such as parathyroid or estrogen hormones
Calcium deficiency occurs when the blood has low calcium levels. It’s important to note that early-stage calcium deficiency may not cause any symptoms. Fortunately, testing can still detect calcium deficiency even at an early stage. For instance, urine calcium levels reflect dietary calcium intake.
Vivoo measures your calcium levels and uses your results to share personalized lifestyle and nutritional advice:
1.Score: 3/10 and 5/10 , Label: Low, Value: 0.01 – 0.08 mg/mg Ca/Cr
As the term implies, a low urine calcium level indicates that the calcium level in your urine is lower than average. There are no early-stage symptoms of having a low level of calcium because your body will first try to regulate this by leaching the mineral from bones.
There are many causes of low urine calcium levels, such as:
- Vitamin D deficiency
- Inadequate absorption of ingested nutrients
- Poor calcium intake
Symptoms of calcium deficiency include:
- Muscle aches, cramps, and spasms
- Pain in the arms and legs, especially when walking or moving
- Sensitive teeth
- Painful premenstrual syndrome
2. Score: 10/10, Label: Optimal, Value: 0.1 – 0.2 mg/mg Ca/Cr
An optimal urine calcium level means that the calcium levels in your urine are normal. Typically, you need to be intentional about increasing your calcium intake to achieve this optimal level, whether it be through making smart food and drink choices. Meeting your daily calcium requirements is important because it helps:
- Ease the symptoms of PMS
- Weight management
3. Score: 8/10 and 6/10 , Label: High, Value: 0.3 – 3.96 mg/mg Ca/Cr
A High urine calcium level occurs when the calcium levels in your urine are higher than expected. There may be different reasons for this, such as:
- Excessive vitamin D intake
- High calcium intake (especially among individuals taking supplements)
High urine calcium levels may not cause any immediate signs or symptoms, but they can hurt your body system in the long term. You can boost your calcium levels quickly through medications or supplements. Regardless of the method, you choose to raise your calcium levels, ensure that you’re meeting your daily recommended intake to achieve optimal wellness.
Your body cannot produce calcium. This means you have to obtain it from external sources like food or supplements.
Calcium is found in a variety of foods. Some of these foods include:
- Dairy products (yogurt, cheese, and milk)
- Fish with soft and edible bones (canned salmon, sardines)
- Dark leafy greens (spinach, collard greens, kale)
- Calcium-fortified beverages, foods, and cereals (fruit juices, bran, raisins)
- Fortified soymilk
- Enriched waffles, bread, and grains
- Seeds (chia seeds, sesame, poppy)
It’s important to monitor your calcium levels because both high and low calcium levels can adversely impact your wellness. Thankfully, Vivoo offers a straightforward and fuss-free way of keeping an eye on your calcium levels anytime and anywhere, even when you’re at home!